Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Good Employee Afterword

Afterword


As I was writing this I would, many times, try to change the direct nature of the narrative. For instance, in paragraphs where things are going badly I refer to the reader as ‘you’ and I considered changing the perspective to the 3rd person ‘he’ or to the even less personal ‘the employee’. I had these second thoughts because employee – manager relationships are intensely personal and I felt that the direct and oftentimes, hard to hear, approach would be insulting or make the reader uncomfortable. But, in the end, I decided to make this book more of a conversation, as if I, an experienced manager, was talking directly to you, an employee on shaky footing. I decided to shoot straight in the book, so I could be more honest with you. If you are any of the employees I have described, the conversation you will have with your manager is going to be much more uncomfortable than reading this book in the privacy of your own home.

I sincerely hope, that you can turn it around and be the awesome employee you deserve to be and the great coworker your team deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment